Christian Pen Friends Connection

A place for the Christian Youth

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Abraham: Man of Faith

Go down 
AuthorMessage
seeker of truth
Admin

Female Number of posts : 2309
Registration date : 2006-12-17

PostSubject: Abraham: Man of Faith   October 5th 2007, 20:42

A couple of months ago I was reading about the great patriarch, Abraham. The godly character of this man impressed me so much that I decided to study his life some more and discover who this man really was and how great his faith and trust in God was. As I was pondering his life, his actions and his character, it suddenly dawned upon me what a faithful and obedient person he was. He walked very closely with God and even talked to Him as close friends would converse with one another. It was nothing out of the ordinary for Abraham to have a conversation with God. That was how close he was to Jesus. Another amazing thing about this great man was that he was very obedient. When God instructed him to do something Abraham immediately obeyed without question or excuse. Today I would like to share with you some of the things that I discovered while studying the life of Abraham.

Abraham, Sarai, and their family lived comfortably in a place called Ur. All their relatives lived there and I am sure they had many friends there. Unbeknown to Abraham, however, God had great and mighty plans for him, but these plans could not be fulfilled while Abraham still dwelt in Ur. He needed to get away from his relatives and friends because "The influence of kindred and friends would interfere with the training which the Lord purposed to give His servant" (Patriarchs and Prophets p. 125). So God said to Abraham: "Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee" (Genesis 12:1). This must have been hard for Abraham and his family. They had to leave behind their comfortable home and all their friends and extended family to travel to an unknown destination! Leaving all you know and love to travel to a far away place is hard when you know where you are going, but God did not make it known to Abraham where he was journeying to. He did not question God, just simply obeyed. "So Abraham departed, as the Lord had spoken unto him" (Genesis 12:4).

Abraham trusted that God would lead him to the place where He wanted him and he trusted in the promise that God had said to him: "And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great: and thou shalt be a blessing" (Genesis 12:2, 3). What tremendous faith he had to leave his country and to journey wherever God led him! So Abraham began organizing his household for movement right away. What a job that must have been with all his servants and flocks of sheep and herds of cattle. It must have been a touching sight to see all Abraham's household slowly making their way down the dusty road towards an unknown destination, following the guidance of God.

After traveling for some time they arrived in Canaan. While camped here, God appeared to Abraham saying: "Unto thy seed will I give this land" (Genesis 12:7). How reassuring that must have been to Abraham to know that he was in the right place and where God wanted him. But all was not well with Abraham, although a great man, he made mistakes too. Because of a famine that came upon Canaan he went down into Egypt to live for a while during the time of famine. Sarai was apparently very beautiful and Abraham feared that when Pharaoh saw her he would kill him so as to be able to have Sarai as his wife. During this time Abraham took matters into his own hands, instead of trusting God that He would work everything out, he tried to fix things in his own power. So he came up with a neat little scheme that he thought would save his life. He said to his wife: "Say, I pray thee, thou art my sister: that it may be well with me for thy sake; and my soul shall live because of thee" (Genesis 12:13). This was actually partially true as Sarai was his half sister and so he figured that it would do no harm to just tell half the truth.

Pharaoh, upon hearing that Sarai was simply Abraham's sister took her to his palace, but while she was there the Bible says that "The Lord plagued Pharaoh and his house with great plagues" (Genesis 12:17). When Pharaoh found out the real truth he was so furious that he sent Abraham out of the country. So often when we are tempted, we give in, and we reason with ourselves that we are 'not hurting anybody'. But like this story shows our mistakes can affect many people without our even realizing it. Often what might seem like little things to us can be giant stumbling blocks for others and could even mean that someone is lost all because of a little sin that we let ourselves indulge in. We should be very careful that our actions do not cause someone else to trip and fall because often we do not realize the entire sphere of our influence. People are watching and they are watching how we react to certain situations and they want to know if we really live what we believe.

After leaving Egypt, Abraham journeyed to a place called Bethel. Here strife broke out between Abraham's herdsmen and Lot's herdsmen. Uncle and nephew each had large flocks of animals and the land was not able to support them all and so frequent quarrels broke out. The strife distressed Abraham and he said to Lot one day "Let there be no strife, I pray thee, between me and thee, and between my herdmen and thy herdmen; for we be brethren" (Genesis 13:8 ). Abraham then suggested that they split, one could go to the left and one to the right and he asked Lot to choose first where he would dwell and then he would take whatever was left. As Lot stood there, looking out over the vast plains along the Jordan River with the prosperous cities of Sodom and Gomorrah in the background and then looked to the other side and saw mountains and infertile areas, he knew what he must choose. Even though by Israelite customs and right of age, Abraham should have been the one to choose first, he unselfishly let his young nephew choose first. Lot, unable to resist the richness of the beautiful plains below, chose the area along the Jordan, next to Sodom and Gomorrah. Abraham took what Lot left, and they each went their own ways.

Reading through all of Abraham's life just fills you with awe as you read of time after time of Abraham displaying great faith and courage. He had faith enough to wait for a son, although he took matters into his own hands for a time, God still gave him a son in his old age. He also trusted God enough that he was ready to sacrifice his own son, something that we can hardly understand today. Even when Lot had gone down to live near the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah and they were invaded by foreign kings, Abraham, with his servants and soldiers, went down and rescued his selfish nephew. What a forgiving spirit! Yes, Abraham made mistakes, but each time he repented and God graciously forgave him and he was able move forward in victory.

What made Abraham so great? Was it the fact that he was rich with possessions and servants and animals? No, these things may bring success in the world's eyes but in God's eyes they are nothing. Today many of us may find success in the world's eyes, but have we found true success? Have we found favor in the eyes of God? To the youth of today, owning the fanciest car, wearing the latest clothes, having the most popular person as a boyfriend or girlfriend, going to all the parties and getting good grades in school mean fun and success. But is this really what success is all about? No, God's idea of a godly man or woman is one who trusts in Him fully, one who spends time with Him each day, striving to become more like Him. A true man or women of God will always put Christ first in everything they do and say, they will ever be willing to help and always be ready with a kind word for someone in need of encouragement. Even though choosing God's way may not always be the most popular choice we know that we will find a greater joy in the peace that comes from truly knowing God.

--Talisa Jackson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: All Bible verses are taken from the King James Version, unless stated otherwise.
Do you know of anyone who you feel would benefit from these devotionals? If you do, please send an e-mail* to the ministry with your friend's name and e-mail address, and we will be sure to include them on our mailing list!

If you have any questions or comments, or if you would like any information on anything, please feel free to
e-mail the ministry. Or, if you would like a specific reply from either Stephanie or Talisa personally, please click on one of the following links. Stephanie or Talisa

If you would like to donate to this ministry, please send your gifts to the mailing address below.

Truth For Youth
C/- Stephanie Fox
PO Box 175
Woodbridge 7162
Tasmania
AUSTRALIA

Edited By: Christine & Talisa Jackson
Formatted By: Talisa Jackson
PLEASE NOTE: This material is not copyrighted, and w e are happy for you to share it with others and ask only that you pass it on complete and unedited.

*If you are having trouble connecting to the links above, please use the following e-mail address for your convenience.
mail@truth-for-youth.com

Page 1 of 1