Christian Pen Friends Connection

A place for the Christian Youth

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

What are You Taking to Heaven?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
seeker of truth
Admin

Female Number of posts : 2309
Registration date : 2006-12-17

PostSubject: What are You Taking to Heaven?   March 30th 2007, 22:48

Dear Youth,

If you could take one thing to Heaven with you what would it be? Perhaps some would say that they would like to take their pet or a prized possession. If I could take just one thing to Heaven I would like to take my violin, but I am sure that there will be musical instruments in Heaven that are far lovelier than any man made instrument. I know this because it says in 1 Corinthians 2:9: "But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him". We can only take one thing to Heaven with us though, and that is our character.

Before I go any further I would like to ask the question: What is our character? Our actions, our words and our thoughts make up our character. Our actions form habits and our habits form our character. We as young people can fall into the trap of saying to ourselves that I am only young for a little while and so I may as well enjoy myself while I am still young and carefree. Often we do not think very much of the choices and decisions we make during our teenage years. What we often term as small choices can actually be impacting our lives in a very big way whether we realize it or not.

We as youth have so much to offer the Lord. We can offer our energy and our enthusiasm, our minds and our hearts. It seems that many young people of today spend their energy and youthful enthusiasm on entertainment, amusement, and romance. If only we could peel back the curtain of time and get a glimpse into the future we would be able to see that our lives are indeed being molded by our actions now. I have heard many adults say that they wish that they had not done some of the things they did when they were young, because bad choices leave scars for life.

Although the building of our character is a life-long task, I feel the decisions we make during our youthful years can especially impact our lives. We must always remember that the choices we make and the actions we take now are pointing our lives in a direction, whether it be forwards or backwards.

As I mentioned previously; our actions form habits and these habits form our character. Each habit formed, whether it be good or bad, is another nail in the construction of our lives and characters. "Every faculty in man is a workman that is building for time and for eternity. Day by day the structure is going up, although the possessor is not aware of it. It is a building which must stand either as a beacon of warning because of its deformity or as a structure which God and angels will admire for its harmony with the Divine Model" (Mind, Character and Personality, Vol. 2 p. 545). Throughout our life we will be building our lives and our characters. If we choose to abide with the Master's plans we will be a living testimony to the love and grace of God.

Our words could be thought of as boards in the structure of our lives. Though the tongue is small and a seemingly insignificant part of the human body, just think of how much damage it can do! "Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!" (James 3:5). In other words: even though the tongue is a very little member of the body it is very powerful! This text uses fire as an illustration. It says that it only takes a little fire to light a large stack of wood. A few careless words can do a lot of damage. Matthew 12:37 says: "For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned". This text is saying that when we stand before Jesus at the end of time we are going to have to give an account of not only our actions but also our words.

Lets all try to make a real effort to be encouraging with our words this week. Lets all make an effort to strengthen the building that we are building everyday, the structure of our life. "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers" (Ephesians 4:29).

In Genesis 17:1 it says: "And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect". Just as Christ was instructing Abram to walk before Him in perfectness He is calling to each one of us to perfect our characters and to make our lives ready for Heaven. The perfection of our character is a daily process. We must pray every morning that He will refine our characters and mould our character into a Christ-like character. "The mighty power of the Holy Spirit works an entire transformation in the character of the human agent, making him a new creature in Christ Jesus" (Review and Herald, June 10, 1902). We have a part to play in the perfecting of our character too. Each day we must strive to be more like Jesus and to reflect His life. Perfection of character can not be achieved without the Holy Spirit's help, we must open up our hearts and ask Jesus to dwell in our hearts and change our life completely. As we make choices according to God's will for us our characters will become more suited for Heaven.

A good character cannot be inherited from a relative or bought with a price. The only way that we can obtain a Christ-like character is through surrendering our hearts and minds to Jesus, striving to become more like Him, and letting the Holy Spirit work in our lives and transform us into a new creature. "A character formed according to the divine likeness is the only treasure that we can take from this world to the next" (Reflecting Christ p.298).

--Talisa Jackson
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/lysa92

Page 1 of 1