Christian Pen Friends Connection

A place for the Christian Youth

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Issue #117 Thu, 22 Mar 2007

Go down 
AuthorMessage
seeker of truth
Admin

Female Number of posts : 2309
Registration date : 2006-12-17

PostSubject: Issue #117 Thu, 22 Mar 2007   March 22nd 2007, 23:16

Walking with God

Dear Youth,

In my personal study time this morning, I was praying and asking God to lead me to something that would help me for the day and also searching for a topic with which to write this week's devotional. I felt impressed to read the chapter in the book Patriarchs and Prophets about Enoch. So today, I will be sharing with you a little about the great patriarch Enoch and his walk with God.

The Bible doesn't say a lot about Enoch, in fact probably the most significant information we have of him is found right in the middle of a genealogy in the book of Genesis. It says there: "And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him." (Genesis 5:24) Enoch walked with God for over three hundred years, and God rewarded him by taking him to heaven before he had even tasted death.

Enoch's walk with God was not one of continual ecstasy or high feelings, instead it was an experience where he lived every moment in the very presence of heaven. And young people, we can have that same "Enoch experience" right here, in Australia, America or wherever we are in the world, right now, in 2007! We can walk and talk with God just like Enoch did! "He may, if he will, have fellowship with God. He may walk and talk with God as did Enoch. This holy companionship is denied to none who will believe on Christ as their personal Saviour." (Signs of the Times, August 26, 1897)

Our lives here, should be lived in preparation for the life to come, but we will receive a part of the reward right now, if we are faithful to Christ. We may not be translated to heaven like Enoch was, but when we live a life hid in Christ, we get a little taste of heaven. When Christ dwells in our hearts and homes, our haven of rest (home) becomes a little heaven upon earth! Therefore, we get to experience a little of what it will be like in heaven, right now!

How did Enoch walk with God? What was his "secret" of success? "Enoch walked with God. He was of one mind with God. The prophet asks, "Can two walk together, except they be agreed?" If we are of one mind with God, our will will be swallowed up in God's will and we shall follow wherever God leads the way. As a loving child places his hand in that of his father, and walks with him in perfect trust whether it is dark or bright, so the sons and daughters of God are to walk with Jesus through joy or sorrow." (That I May Know Him, p. 250) "He [Enoch] was a man of wisdom, enlightened and taught of God. He was daily proving his divine Companion, who, in turn, was testing Enoch. This witness was brought into singular nearness to God, and was constantly seeking his guidance. He was a man of infinite wisdom, because he relied on infinite wisdom. He was a man of great meekness and humility, because he trusted in God for all things, and not in himself. He did not walk slowly and reluctantly, but kept pace with the opening providences of God. (Youth's Instructor, February 25, 1897)

There are some key points in the above quotes that I would like you to note. Firstly, if we are truly walking with God "our will will be swallowed up in God's will". This means that my flesh and it's desires will be brought under the control of God, and I will say in every situation: "Not my will, but Thine, be done." (Luke 22:42)

Secondly, we are to follow. If we have asked God to lead and direct our lives, by faith we must step out and follow Him wherever He takes us and through whatever He leads us!

"I will follow Thee, my Saviour,
Wheresoever my lot may be.
Where Thou goest I will follow;
Yes, my Lord, I'll follow Thee."*

The words of this hymn should become our determination!

The third key is that Enoch had perfect trust; he trusted in God for all things, and not in himself. Solomon admonishes us to do the same thing: "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding." (Proverbs 3:5) Being able to have perfect trust in the Lord requires a great step of faith--sometimes even a leap of faith! Through the everyday trials that weigh us down, it takes a lot of faith to say "Yes, Lord, I know You are there with me, and I know that You are allowing me to go through this trial right now in order that I may become refined." It takes a lot of faith to be able to trust that God is faithful to His promises and will supply you with the power necessary to be overcomers. It takes faith and trust to believe God's Word and even to believe in His soon coming! We need to be able to trust God's leading--to step out and follow Him, even in the dark or when we can't see around the next corner! "Trust ye in the Lord forever:" the prophet Isaiah says, "for in the Lord Jehovah is everlasting strength." (Isaiah 26:4)

In the quote above it goes on to share how Enoch was a man of infinite wisdom and of great meekness and humility. How did he get such great wisdom and humility? The answer is probably more simple than supposed. He simply relied upon God to impart to him, His own character, and Christ will do the same for us, today! "Christ in His humanity wrought out a perfect character, and this character He offers to impart to us." (Christ's Object Lessons, p. 311) Through faith, Christ offers to come and live His life within us. "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me." (Galatians 2:20)

We are also told that Enoch "kept pace with the opening providences of God." He did not get to a certain point in His experience and then stop moving forward in the knowledge of Christ. Neither did we walk along dragging His feet! More and more light was given to him, and he was always willing to accept the light and move forward with it. His walk was never hindered by an unwillingness to do the Lord's will or to have new things brought to his mind. So it should be with us, always willing to follow the Lord at the pace He leads us, never hindering Him by slowing meandering along and continually coming to stand-stills by falling prey to sin and selfishness.

It is high time for us young people to search out and find that "Enoch experience" with God! It is time for us to walk with God and live in the light of heaven every moment of every day! We are told: "If ever a people needed to walk before God as did Enoch, Seventh-day Adventists need to do so now, showing their sincerity by pure words, clean words, words full of sympathy, tenderness, and love." (Counsels to Writers and Editors, p. 13)

--Stephanie Fox
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/lysa92

Issue #117 Thu, 22 Mar 2007
Page 1 of 1