Christian Pen Friends Connection

A place for the Christian Youth

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Issue #113 Thu, 1 Feb 2007

Go down 
AuthorMessage
seeker of truth
Admin

Female Number of posts : 2309
Registration date : 2006-12-17

PostSubject: Issue #113 Thu, 1 Feb 2007   March 12th 2007, 01:03

Remember the Sabbath Day

Dear Youth,

Today I would like to share some thoughts on the Sabbath down through the ages.

The Sabbath was first given at creation. After the six days of creation Jesus rested from his work on the seventh day. Genesis 2:2,3 says: "And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it". "It is to be remembered and observed as the memorial of the Creator's work. Pointing to God as the Maker of the heavens and the earth, it distinguishes the true God from all false gods" (Prophets and Kings p. 307).

For hundreds of years the patriarchs such as Noah, Abraham, Jacob, Isaac, and many others were faithful in keeping the Sabbath. It was not until the children of Israel were taken into captivity that the Sabbath began to be forgotten. Then at Mt. Sinai the people were again reminded of the Sabbath. The Lord sent a message through Moses asking them to obey Him in everything, and the people answered and said: "All that the Lord hath spoken we will do". And it was a couple of days after that that the Ten Commandments we know so well were written on tables of stone.

It was then that God wrote with His very finger on those two tables of stone the fourth commandment, found in Exodus 20:8-11 "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it".

This commandment beginning with 'remember' is a special caution from God not to forget the Sabbath. The people had said that all that the Lord had said they would do, but how quickly this promise was broken. The people failed because they tried to keep it in their own strength.

This was the old covenant, written on stone, but God has promised us a new covenant in which he will write His law on our hearts, Ezekiel 11:19,20: "And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh and will give them an heart of flesh: That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God".

God has promised that if we obey God, and keep his commandments, that He will dwell in our hearts. And that includes the Sabbath commandment, and in Ezekiel 20:12 it says: "Moreover also I gave them my Sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the Lord that sanctify them". The Sabbath is an important part of victorious living and having a sanctified life.

Jumping to the New Testament now, Jesus kept the Sabbath, and he made an interesting statement to the Pharisees regarding the Sabbath. Mark 2:27: "And he said to them, The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath". Here He is saying that the Sabbath was not made just for a day when man would have to follow lots of special rules, right to the very letter. Jesus says in Matthew 12:8: "For the Son of man is Lord even of the Sabbath day". Jesus was the Creator of the Sabbath day, so man needs to follow His teaching and example in observance of the Sabbath. This is a day made for us, it is a day set aside so that we can spend that necessary time with Him.

As we move beyond Bible times, and as the centuries past, Satan began to do his work of making man to slowly forget the Sabbath. Until finally we find man in the Dark Ages, with the Sabbath almost completely forgotten. With only a few small groups of people such as the Waldenses and other scattered groups of Christians who kept the Sabbath faithfully. But as God raised up reformers a reformation was brought about and people were coming in to more light regarding the Bible and it's truths.

In the 1800's the Lord raised up a special people with a special message called the Advent Message. These people included the pioneers such as William Miller, Joseph Bates, the Whites, and many others. These faithful workers for God devoted their lives to the sharing of the gospel and warning the world that Jesus was soon to come. But these people did still not have the special Sabbath truth, Rachel Oaks the one to bring to these people the Sabbath. Soon after this the Seventh Day Adventist Church was formed, and one of its fundamental beliefs is that the seventh day is the Sabbath Day. Isaiah 58:12 says: "And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shall be called, the repairer of he breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in". These dedicated pioneers were bringing back the truths that had been lost, and they were beginning to walk on the paths so long forgotten by others.

What a blessing to be part of God's special people, the repairers of the breach, and the repairers of paths, the people that are to take His gospel to the world. In Revelation 12:17 it says: "And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ". Here it is telling us that God's end time, remnant people will keep the commandments. Also in Revelation 14:12 we find: "Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus".

Our very name Seventh Day Adventists testifies to the importance of the Sabbath Day in our lives. But have we been faithful in keeping the Sabbath? Or have we been a little careless? Revelation says that God's end time people will keep the commandments and have the faith of Jesus. Have we as a church let our standards slip a little regarding the observance of the Sabbath? We must hold our standards high, higher than ever before, in this end time period.

There is a text in Isaiah 58:12 that gives us some excellent advice regarding the keeping of the Sabbath. "If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honorable; and shalt honor him, not doing thine own ways nor finding thine own pleasure, not speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed the with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it".

Here we can see that when we spend the time with Jesus on Sabbath, as He wants us to, we will receive that special blessing that He is so willing to bestow upon us. God wants to use the Sabbath as a special time to build a closer relationship with Him. Keeping the Sabbath means more than just going to church, we should keep it in spirit and enter into it with all our heart.

Let us all make a decision today to raise our standards of Sabbath keeping higher and ever higher, may we never let go of the precious truth we have. Lets all plan to meet each other in Heaven very soon. For the words of Jesus are in found in Isaiah 66:23 regarding the New Jerusalem: "And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord".

--Talisa Jackson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: All Bible verses are taken from the King James Version, unless stated otherwise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/lysa92

Issue #113 Thu, 1 Feb 2007
Page 1 of 1