Christian Pen Friends Connection

A place for the Christian Youth

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Issue #112 Thu, 25 Jan 2007

Go down 
AuthorMessage
seeker of truth
Admin

Female Number of posts : 2309
Registration date : 2006-12-17

PostSubject: Issue #112 Thu, 25 Jan 2007   March 12th 2007, 01:01

Remember Now Thy Creator in the Days of Thy Youth

Dear Youth,

There are many passages in the Bible that begin with the word “Remember”; today I would like to share one of those passages with you. “Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth.” (Ecclesiastes 12:1)

Today, I we will explore these three points as we look at this verse.

Why youth?
Exploring Christ as the Creator of the new heart.
Exploring God as the Creator of the earth.
The beginning of chapter 12 is very similar to chapter 1, except we have a different appeal; a specific appeal to the youth. There seems to be a real urgency in Solomon’s appeal to the youth. As children and youth we are the only ones who can give our lives to the service of God now and live without the baggage of years wasted in idle folly. Of course, this doesn’t mean it’s too late for anyone, it really doesn’t matter how old you are, because you can give yourself to God at any time to be used in His service, but you can never bring back the past. Young people, if we don’t give ourselves fully and completely to Christ while we are still young, the scars of a wasted, frivolous, and pointless life will forever remain. As youth, we don’t have to grow up to regret many useful years wasted.

Why do you think Solomon chose to use the word “remember” as he made his appeal? Do you think that perhaps he knew that so many young people would FORGET their Creator? Many youth spend the prime of their life in seeking after the temporal “joys” of this world. Even Christian youth spend more time discussing worthless matters, sitting in front of the TV, or computer, or browsing in the malls, than they do in studying the Bible, sharing their faith, or kneeling in prayer. Much time and thought is wasted in sentimentalism and romance. As youth, we need to learn to trust that God will take care of EVERY area in our lives, especially this area, and that He will make everything truly beautiful in His time.

It’s a very sobering thought to think of the short time of probation we have left, but it is even more alarming to note the way young people (and I include myself in this) are using the time given them by the mercy and grace of God.

“The young generally conduct themselves as though the precious hours of probation, while mercy lingers, were one grand holiday, and they were placed in this world merely for their own amusement, to be gratified with a continual round of excitement.” (Testimonies for the Church, vol. 1, p. 501) It is thus, the most precious time in ones life is squandered in selfishness, worthlessness, and vanity. Youth will fade into the burdens and cares of adulthood and before we realize it, our youthful days will have vanished!

Young people, this should be our earnest prayer: “Teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.” (Psalm 90:12)

As youth, we can do so much for the Lord. The responsibility to share for the Lord doesn’t rest merely upon the adults. In fact, we have a grave responsibility to multiply and use the talents the Lord has given us as youth, especially the talents of time, strength and influence.

“He [Satan] well knows that there is no other class that can do as much good as young men and young women who are consecrated to God. The youth, if right, could sway a mighty influence. Preachers, or laymen advanced in years, cannot have one half the influence upon the young that the youth, devoted to God, can have upon their associates. They ought to feel that a responsibility rests upon them to do all they can to save their fellow mortals, even at a sacrifice of their pleasure and natural desires.” (Testimonies for the Church, vol. 1, p. 511)

Young people, it is NOW that we should consecrate our lives to the service of God! NOW, while we are still young and strong, while we have such a powerful influence, and while we can do so much for the Lord!

This is my appeal to all the young people: “Give of your best to the Master, give Him the strength of your youth.”

“Remember now thy CREATOR [in the days of thy youth].” (Ecclesiastes 12:1) We’ve discussed the importance of committing our lives to Christ in the season of youth, but now I would like to focus specifically on the word “Creator”.

Firstly the fact that God not only has BEEN our Creator, but IS our Creator. It is His earnest desire to “create in us a clean heart, and renew a right spirit within us.” [from David’s prayer: “Create in me a clean heart, oh God.” (Psalm 51:10)]

“A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put My Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in My statutes, and ye shall keep My judgements and do them.” (Ezekiel 36:26-27)

“The youth especially stumble over this phrase, “a new heart”. They do not know what it means. They look for a special change to take place in their feelings. This they term conversion. Over this error thousands have stumbled to ruin, not understanding the expression, “Ye must be born again.”. . . .When Jesus speaks of the new heart, He means the mind, the life, the whole being. To have a change of heart is to withdraw the affections from the world, and fasten them upon Christ. To have a new heart is to have a new mind, new purposes, new motives. What is the sign of a new heart?—a changed life. There is a daily, hourly dying to selfishness and pride.” (The Youth’s Instructor, September 26, 1901)

I find it very interesting to note that in our theme text in Ecclesiastes 12, we are admonished to remember our Creator, and then it adds “in the days of thy youth”. When we come to this commentary it begins by saying “the youth especially stumble over this phrase.” It’s very important that as young people we understand “the new heart” and it’s meaning in our lives.

Our text doesn’t mention God as the mender or the fixer (while I believe God does mend broken lives), in this context it portrays God as THE CREATOR. When He gives us a new heart, He doesn’t just patch up the old, or sew part of it back together again, He gives us something completely new! When God spoke man into existence it didn’t happen by some substance slowly evolving into a complex organism; it simply was! And God works in the same way when He creates in us a new heart, it doesn’t happen over a long period of time, it happens right away when we fully surrender our life to God. And that's the key, young people, when we FULLY, COMPLETELY surrender ourselves to Christ, and earnestly pray for God to create in us a clean heart, He will give us a completely brand new heart, and we will live a completely brand new life!

The second area we will quickly look at in this word “Creator” is that God IS THE CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE! Now that might seem pretty basic and seemingly unimportant for us Adventist youth, but it’s an amazingly vital truth that we need to be fully grounded in. It might seem to be OK now while we’re still under the influence and protection of our Christian parents, but when we leave that care and begin to fend for ourselves I think we will be surprised at how widespread the theory of evolution is.

God’s role as Creator is fast disappearing in the world of science today; most people, even many Christians, believe in evolution, not necessarily because it’s been so overpoweringly proven in scientific research, but because it’s just what everybody believes.

It may be the case that we are brought in contact with someone or some theory that questions our belief in God as the Creator. And it may seem like a very reasonable and strong argument put forth, and while we may not abandon the doctrine of creation right on the spot, it may raise questions and doubts in our minds that, if not resolved, may cause us to waver and fall in our belief.

Ultimately, if Satan can lead us to doubt the fact that God created this world, and that He is the intelligent Designer, then He can ruin our whole faith and belief system. You see, both evolution and creation have to be accepted on faith because no human being was there to witness either events. However, God was there to witness the event, and He has it recorded in the Bible. If we fail to believe His word that He created the earth, then we will fail to believe anything else He ever said.

Young people, ground yourself in this important truth: “In the beginning GOD created the heavens and the earth.” (Genesis 1:1) And just a side note, if you are wondering whether creation is accepted entirely on faith, the answer is no, there is plenty of scientific evidence out there that supports creation and intelligent design!

Youth, it is time we heeded this counsel of Solomon! When he penned those words, he spoke from experience, and the reason he wrote that down was to save other youth, down through the ages, from experiencing the misery caused by forgetting their Creator. Young people, give your Creator first place in your lives, and just see the blessings He will pour out as a result!

--Stephanie Fox

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: All Bible verses are taken from the King James Version, unless stated otherwise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/lysa92

Issue #112 Thu, 25 Jan 2007
Page 1 of 1