Christian Pen Friends Connection

A place for the Christian Youth

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Issue #110 Wed, 10 Jan 2007

Go down 
AuthorMessage
seeker of truth
Admin

Female Number of posts : 2309
Registration date : 2006-12-17

PostSubject: Issue #110 Wed, 10 Jan 2007   March 12th 2007, 00:59

All Was Vanity

Dear Youth,

"The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem. Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity." (Ecclesiastes 1:1-2) Solomon was a righteous king who let pride, politics, and worldliness bring him down to very low depths of depravity. However, after many years of wandering in darkness Solomon found his way back to God, and, determined to warn others of the follies of sin, he wrote his own experience down for us in the pages of two books we know so well; Proverbs and Ecclesiastes.

At the very outset of King Solomon's reign, he was a very humble man indeed. In fact, his words, recorded in the book of Kings describe the inadequacy he felt: "And now, O Lord my God, Thou hast made Thy servant king instead of David my father: and I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in. Therefore give to Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people, that I may discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?" (I Kings 3:7, 9; v. 9 NKJV)

Solomon could have prayed for strength, fame, money, or a great mind, but he did not. His humble request for wisdom so that he could bring glory and honour to his Lord, shows his utmost loyalty to the God of Israel. It also shows where his greatest affections lay.

For a while, Solomon did just as he vowed to do. He was becoming famous for his wisdom and discernment and people were travelling great distances to observe his ways. Israel was becoming prominent in many ways, and through Solomon's reign the nation was being held on a pedestal for the whole world to see and behold the one and only true God!

We can only imagine the thoughts of Satan and his evil host at this time. The entire world was being influenced by God's chosen nation and we can vividly picture his desperation as he sought for a plan that would destroy the foundations of Israel's allegiance to God. The plan he eventually came up with, sadly, worked.

So imperceptibly was Solomon's downfall that it went by unnoticed. If Satan could use incrementalism to destroy such a man as King Solomon, I'm almost certain that he can and will use the same tactic today and it should be our earnest prayer that we will not fall victim to his subtlety. Slowly Satan began to work on Solomon's weaknesses, and gradually the king gave way to his lower passions, until he reached a point of utter degeneracy.

Two major mistakes led the way to more and more disgusting practices. The first one being that he took a wife from a pagan country, the second being that not only did he take a pagan wife, but he took MANY pagan wives, thus committing what we know as polygamy. The underlying factor that led to the result of polygamy and being unequally yoked was simply compromise. Solomon knew better, yet he compromised; of course, only once to start with.

How many of you have heard of an Adventist medic in World War II by the name of Desmond T. Doss? He was the first conscientious objector to receive the congressional medal of honour when he returned from the terrible battle in Okinawa. His reason for being dubbed a CO was simply because he refused to bear arms. For this, Desmond became the object of ridicule from both his associates and his superiors. Many a time his superiors tried to force him to hold a gun and when he refused he was not only harassed and scorned but was also denied his only joyful privileges. How easy it might have been for him to just hold the gun, yet through it all he remained true to his principles. His reasoning that helped him endure it all was this: "If I could compromise once, I could compromise again." Young people, don't make any compromise to start with, because it will only lead to more. It seemed innocent enough for Solomon to take a worldly wife, and she was even converted, but it was against the plain revelation of God and it led Solomon to make so many more compromises that in the end he was building altars and temples for his wive's pagan gods, and even sacrificing children!

There are many reasons why we may compromise to begin with. One may simply be peer pressure, but probably the most common reason we compromise does not need the help (or "pressure") of anyone else, save our own weak passions and lusts. The Bible says that "King Solomon loved many strange (or foreign) women." (I Kings 11:1) It is quite possible that Solomon inherited a genetic weakness in this area, since David, his father, faced a similar temptation with Bathsheeba and also fell. We too may have inherited or cultivated weaknesses to certain things; perhaps not women, money, fame, or pride, as Solomon did, but beyond a shadow of a doubt there are certainly areas in our flesh that are weak points for us. Most likely we may even enjoy some of these activities, hence the reason we compromise. However, is it really worth it?

I'm sure Solomon enjoyed all his beautiful wives, I'm sure he enjoyed his wealth and his fame. I'm sure he liked having such an amazing brain. The Bible says "He spake of trees, from the cedar tree that is in Lebanon even unto the hyssop that springeth out of the wall: he spake also of beasts, and of fowl, and of creeping things, and of fishes." (I Kings 4:33) King Solomon was a biologist who studied living things! It's quite obvious that he had obtained a wealth of knowledge even from his study of nature. Yet, enjoy all this as he did for a season, when turned to the light of the God's grace and amazing power, he declares it all vanity!

It's all vain, young people, empty! Learn from the experience of Solomon; he had it all, yet it was all worthless! He didn't find happiness in that time, and youth, we won't either so long as we stay outside the will of God. Young people, don't allow ANYTHING to cause you to compromise, because it will only lead to a downfall and that downfall may be so gradual that you don't even know it's happening. Perhaps it would be well for us to listen to the words of our family, friends, or those of more advanced years, and search our heart diligently to see if we are compromising and slipping away from God.

Young people, keep your eyes fixed on Jesus and ask Him to lead your paths. "Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in Him and He shall bring it to pass." (Psalm 37:5)

--Stephanie Fox

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: All Bible verses are taken from the King James Version, unless stated otherwise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/lysa92

Issue #110 Wed, 10 Jan 2007
Page 1 of 1