Christian Pen Friends Connection

A place for the Christian Youth

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Issue #109 Wed, 3 Jan 2007

Go down 
AuthorMessage
seeker of truth
Admin

Female Number of posts : 2309
Registration date : 2006-12-17

PostSubject: Issue #109 Wed, 3 Jan 2007   March 12th 2007, 00:57

The Happiest Year of My Life

Dear Youth,

Monday, January 1, 2007 marked the start of another new year! Sometimes, for many, the start of a new year can almost be discouraging. There is always the lurking memory of last year's forfeited resolutions, or the generally unhappy year in which one journeyed. Wishes for "a happy new year" can almost be a joke; and while one is always polite and accepting to somebody else's well-wishes, they feel deep inside that this year will be just like every other year. Does this reflect any of the thoughts you experienced on Monday?

I'll admit to you that I had a hard time making my resolutions this year. Sure, I could think of plenty of good things I could determine to do in 2007, but the memory of so many past year's failed resolutions made me feel like not even bothering to make any more. Of course, it's always a nice thought to think that this year could be the happiest year of your life; and deep down you truly hope that you can make something of the year ahead of you, but it seems that this is only fantasy and the reality is that this year will be no different to last year.

Young people, the good news is that your deepest desiring to have a truly "happy new year" is not a fantasy at all! In fact, 2007 can actually be the happiest year of your life, no matter what your circumstances! "You may make your future life good or evil; and this will determine for you whether the year upon which you have just entered will be to you a happy new year. It is in your power to make it such for yourself and for those around you." "This year can be the happiest year of your life." (My Life Today, p. 5 & Youth's Instructor, January 1, 1856)

The new year is God's gift. While in essence, January 1 is of no more importance in God's eyes than any other day of the year, He puts into our hearts the desire to make a fresh start in life on that day. He gives us a new page in which we can choose whatever we want to fill that page. Let us keep in mind the fact that this new year, 2007, is God's gift to us, and by holding to this, combat the temptations of the Devil to throw away this year as though it wasn't anything precious. The beginning of the year is not only a time to make a new beginning in our lives, but it is also another probationary year in which God has granted us life! In His great mercy, God has sustained us, and this alone should be an incentive to live this year to the glory of God!

The feelings I had in regard to making my resolutions were just a temptation from Satan. We should all make our new years resolutions, but instead of taking it into our own hands, and gritting our teeth trying our hardest to make it work, we should bring Christ into the picture and together with Him fulfil our resolutions!

I just want to share with you an experience that illustrates both the frailty of our own human strength and also the power of our own will power combined with the Divine power of heaven. One of my resolutions this year was to get up in the morning to spend time in the Word of God. Now, I'm not sure about you, but it seems that most teenagers find it hard to get up in the morning, particularly in the holidays, and I'm no exception to that, I can assure you! I knew that if I was going to accomplish this I could only do so with God's help. So as the new year dawned I folded my hands and laid before God my resolutions and asked for His strength to help me carry them out.

As something fun to do I had also decided to watch the New Year in, which meant staying up until midnight. After I had done so and was preparing for bed I had the sudden thought that only moments before I had promised and even prayed about getting up in the morning! The second thought that entered my head was that it was late, and I was so tired, besides that it was holidays after all! Surely God would understand if I just waited until the next morning to start acting on my resolution! Immediately I was faced with a dilemma. Thankfully the Holy Spirit didn't just stop with that one impression, for I began to reason as to how good my year really could be if I never began it with Christ. I also realized that the same excuse of being "too tired" could go on forever, as perhaps it did the year before. With a prayer on my lips, I set the alarm, determined to begin 2007 with Jesus.

When the alarm went off in the morning I didn't feel very awake, in fact I pressed the snooze button several times before I was able to make that full surrender to Christ and make the move to plant my feet on the ground! You see, young people, if I had never prayed so hard I would never have been able to carry out my resolution, not even on the first day! Maybe you have enough stamina to last a few days, weeks, or even months, but if you rely only upon your own resources you will soon grow weary and fall. "He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might He increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint; and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk and not faint." (Isaiah 40:29-31)

While all our resolutions may differ depending on ones circumstances, situation, family etc, there is one thing we should all determine to do. This one thing, I found stated so beautifully in a letter written by Ellen White, when writing of her own new years resolutions to her niece, Addie Walling: "I want to have Jesus with me every hour." (Letter 91, 1886) May that be our highest goal to achieve in 2007! If we walk with God this year, as did Enoch, we will find that all our other highest and noblest resolutions will fall into place as we live our every moment in the presence of heaven!

--Stephanie Fox

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: All Bible verses are taken from the King James Version, unless stated otherwise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We pray that your new year may truly be "happy", not in a superficial sense, but may you find your happiness in walking with God every moment of every day! Always remember to look out for the wonderful things God has in store for you this year and make the most of every opportunity you find to share God's love! Our prayer is that at the end of 2007 we can all say that it truly was the happiest year of our lives and that we went all the way with Jesus!
~your friends at Truth For Youth!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/lysa92

Issue #109 Wed, 3 Jan 2007
Page 1 of 1