Christian Pen Friends Connection

A place for the Christian Youth

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Issue #89 Tue, 25 Jul 2006

Go down 
AuthorMessage
seeker of truth
Admin

Female Number of posts : 2309
Registration date : 2006-12-17

PostSubject: Issue #89 Tue, 25 Jul 2006   March 12th 2007, 00:03

Possessing the Pearl

Dear Youth,

I'd like to draw your attention to a small, yet powerful illustration Jesus used in Matthew 13:45-46. "Again the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls: Who, when he had found one of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it." I'm sure all of us have read and re-read this parable and heard it many times over, but I wonder how many of us have actually searched deeply to the meaning of this illustration and the lesson it carries for us in our daily walk with the Lord?

I think we all know what the merchantman and pearl symbolises, but just to refresh our memory, we'll quickly look over these things again. "The merchantman in the parable represents a class who were sincerely desiring truth." (Christ's Object Lessons, p. 116) "Our Redeemer is the pearl so precious that in comparison all things else may be accounted loss." (Christ's Object Lessons, p. 115) So we are represented my the merchant seeking Christ who is the pearl of great price.

Jesus says: "Ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall search for Me with all your heart." (Jeremiah 29:13) Maybe you are still searching for the Pearl of great price, for a meaningful and fulfilling life, and for something to fill the emptiness in your heart. If that is you, the promise is that if you search diligently, you WILL find the One and only One that can fulfil the desires of your heart. But perhaps you have already found Christ, perhaps Jeremiah's promise is already yours.

There are a lot of people who have found Christ, that's why they have become Christians. The merchant in the parable sought the pearl of great price; he even FOUND the pearl he was seeking after. But was that all he had to do to POSSESS the pearl? No, there was still something more he had to do. It works the same way with us. We may have found Christ, but there is still something we must do in order to possess Christ.

The Bible says that the merchant "sold all that he had, and bought it [the pearl]." (Matthew 13:46) Once we have found Christ, we too, must sell all that we have and buy that Pearl.

"Ho! Everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; And you who have no money, come, buy, and eat. Yes, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. Why do you spend money for what is not bread, and your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen diligently to Me, and eat what is good, and let your soul delight itself in abundance." (Isaiah 55:1-2 NKJV) I used to wonder what these verses meant. How could you buy and eat when you didn't have any money? And why does it say to come and buy and in the next phrase say that it comes free of charge? You see, Christ and all the joys that come from His abiding presence, is a free gift, yet it costs us ourselves. Jesus is the water and the bread of life, offered freely to all. We can't buy anything with money, fame, abilities, beauty, achievements, or education, all we can give in exchange is our old, selfish, and desperately wicked heart.

In the passage above, we are challenged by the question: "Why do you spend your money for what is not bread, and your wages for what does not satisfy?" (Ibid.) You see, as Paul says, "Know ye not, that to whom you yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?" (Romans 6:16) Ultimately we sell ourselves to one or the other; either we give ourselves to Christ and let Him abide in us, or we give ourselves to Satan. We are told: "Every soul that refuses to give himself to God is under the control of another power. He is not his own. He may talk of freedom, but he is under the most abject slavery. He is not allowed to see the beauty of truth, for his mind is under the control of Satan." (The Desire of Ages, p. 466) Why is it that we so easily give ourselves over to such a hard slave-driver when Christ offers us so much? Instead of buying into the Devil's lie and counterfeit, we should purchase Jesus, the Bread of life.

Christ gave up all heaven to purchase your ransom, He loves you more than you can comprehend, and He is waiting with His arms open wide for you to come to Him so that He can abide with you and commune with you as He originally intended to connect with mankind. You may have to give up a harboured resentment, a cherished sin, a proud heart, a friend, or a particular lifestyle in order to possess the pearl, but you will be more than repaid, for as David says about Christ: "Thou openest Thine hand, and satisfiest the desire of every living thing." (Psalm 145:16)

You have sought and found Christ, now you need to POSSESS Him! "We are to give ourselves to Christ, to live a life of willing obedience to all His requirements. All that we are, all the talents and capabilities we possess, are the Lord's, to be consecrated to His service. When we thus give ourselves wholly to Him, Christ, with all the treasures of heaven, gives Himself to us. We obtain the pearl of great price." (Christ's Object Lessons, p. 116)

--Stephanie Fox

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: All Bible verses are taken from the King James Version, unless stated otherwise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/lysa92

Issue #89 Tue, 25 Jul 2006
Page 1 of 1