Christian Pen Friends Connection

A place for the Christian Youth

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Issue #85

Go down 
AuthorMessage
seeker of truth
Admin

Female Number of posts : 2309
Registration date : 2006-12-17

PostSubject: Issue #85   March 11th 2007, 23:53

Coming Home

Dear Youth,

The story of the prodigal son portrays the scene of a son that has wandered away from his father's house, but after finding that this world had nothing to offer, comes home. Today I would like to share with you some things that this story has taught me.

At a very young age the youngest son of a well-to-do man rebelled against his father's authority and decided that he wanted his inheritance now, rather than waiting until the death of his father. The father consented and gave his beloved son his inheritance in the form of money. The son thought that this was wonderful and he set out on a journey to a far away country. He had decided that he would go and see what the world had to offer, he would have fun and he thought he could do anything he wanted to do, he thought. The young man decided that he would enjoy his freedom as best as he could.

The Bible says that he "spent his substance with riotous living" (Luke 15:13). This son spent his money on all the luxuries of the day. The Bible doesn't say, but we can surely imagine what he bought with this money, a fancy chariot with fine horses to pull it, clothes of the latest fashion, meals that were fit for a king, and probably much more. Being rich brought many friends and he found that he had many people eager to be his friends. He was having a wonderful time enjoying what he thought was freedom, but after a little while he started to notice that every time he dug into his leather purse for some more coins there weren't many left. Finally one day he reached in and there was nothing left, absolutely nothing. He had spent all his money and now he was broke. He decided that he would have to find work; he would have to find a job to earn some money just so he could eat. He also found out something else, he did not have any friends left, and when they realized that he had no money left they deserted him. The Bible says that "he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine" (Luke 15:15). Imagine feeding pigs! It was one of the lowest of jobs, and this young man found himself feeding pigs.

This son thought that he had freedom. He thought that by getting his inheritance and travelling far away from his father that he could have the ultimate freedom, he thought that the world would give him the freedom he was seeking. However, he soon discovered that it was not what he thought it would be. Oh yes, he had a wonderful time at first, but sin is always pleasurable for a little while. How many youth today think that the world will give them the ultimate freedom that they are looking for. They think that the world's ways are much better than God's. But they find that it is not true freedom. It is really Satan's way of leading today's youth away from God, and entangling them in his grasp.

One day I was walking with my family and friends one Sabbath afternoon. We were walking past many houses, but one house in particular caught my attention. Well it wasn't the house but the people in the front yard. There were three children in front of the house. They couldn't have been very old maybe 12 or 13. As I walked past I noticed they were smoking. I was shocked to see such young children engaging in such an awful practice. There was no car in the driveway so they probably thought they were getting away with something while their parents weren't home. The image of one girl though has stuck in my mind for a long time. I saw her slumped against the house, in one hand she was holding a packet of cigarettes, in the other she had a cigarette that she was smoking, a look of listlessness was about her and her face did not even give a hint of joy. This picture has been burned into my mind and I will never forget about it, and every time I think about it I just feel so sad for her. These young people thought that they were experiencing the freedom of doing what they desired. But were they happy? No, they were all caught up in Satan's grasp.

The prodigal son was also like that one girl; he had discovered that the world does not really offer freedom. One day as he sat thinking, watching the pigs eat their food, his hunger was so great that he would have liked to eaten the animals' food! Then a thought came to him "how many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee" (Luke 15:17,18).

The young man had made the decision to return home to his father. He had come to the realization that he was a sinner and he needed to return home to his father. We all have sinned and we all need a savior. We all must return home to our Father's fold. But first of all we must realize our need of a savior, then we will come running home to Jesus and he will welcome us home with outstretched arms. And he will say, "This my son was dead, and is alive again; for he was lost and is found" (Luke 15: 24). Jesus is waiting for us to come to Him all we have to do is come and He will welcome us home. The words of that old familiar hymn come to my mind:

"I've wandered far away from God,

Now I'm coming home;

The paths of sin too long I've trod;

Lord I'm coming home".

(Lord I'm Coming Home by: William J. Kirkpatrick)

--Talisa Jackson
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/lysa92

Issue #85
Page 1 of 1