Christian Pen Friends Connection

A place for the Christian Youth

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Issue #78 Mon, 3 Apr 2006

Go down 
AuthorMessage
seeker of truth
Admin

Female Number of posts : 2309
Registration date : 2006-12-17

PostSubject: Issue #78 Mon, 3 Apr 2006   March 11th 2007, 23:35

solution to GIANT problems

Dear Youth,

"David swung. And God made his point. 'Anyone who underestimates what God can do with the ordinary has rocks in his head.'" (Max Lucado) (You may have to read this a few times over before you understand what it's talking about, but when you see it, you'll find it's a very clever phrase.) Goliath underestimated what God could do through the boy David, and he ended up with a rock in his head, literally! But the truth is that we are far too often like the proud, arrogant Goliath. Far too often we underestimate what God can do for US!

Young people, there are MANY giants in our life who are desperately trying to gain the mastery over us: Self, pride, anger, envy, doubt, discontentment, jealousy, love of pleasure, wealth, addictions, disrespect, and the list can go on. We don't want to be controlled by these giant tyrants, but how can we overcome them?

Human effort combined with divine power is what will overcome these giants in our lives! "Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield; but I come to thee in the name of the Lord of hosts." (1 Samuel 17:45) David knew that he, in and of himself, couldn't overcome his giant, yet he combined his small effort with divine power and came forth victorious. In this common and well-loved story we learn an important lesson of what we can be, and what we can do, with the power of Jesus.

I want you to notice something: David did not stand in front of Goliath and expect God to strike the Philistine down; he DID rely upon God, but he put forth his own effort. In the story of Joshua, we see this same thing. "Joshua had received the promise that God would surely overthrow these enemies of Israel, yet he put forth an earnest effort as though success depended upon the armies of Israel alone. He did all that human energy could do, and then he cried in faith for divine aid. The secret of success is the union of divine power with human effort." (Patriarchs and Prophets, p. 509, emphasis added)

To overcome the giant, both David and Joshua put forth their earnest efforts and cried out for God's divine power. To gain the victory over the giants in our life, we too, must exercise earnest effort on our part and ask God for His strength.

We are told that: "Many do not attain to the position that they might occupy, because they wait for God to do for them that which He has given them power to do for themselves. All who are fitted for usefulness must be trained by the severest mental and moral discipline, and God will assist them by uniting divine power with human effort." (Patriarchs and Prophets, p. 248) Often times we expect God to work a miracle for us when we are not willing to put in ANY effort!

I'll give you a little example of where I had to learn this principle. I'm not sure about you, but I find it REALLY hard to get up in the morning! My mother sometimes gets a little frustrated with me because I'll often set my alarm with very good intentions of getting up right away, but when it goes off I usually find some kind of excuse as to why I shouldn't get up right then! I used to tell my mum, "But I pray to Jesus every night and ask Him to help me get up in the morning but I still can't!" And then she said something to me that I have never, ever forgotten. "You can't say, 'Please help me, Jesus, to get up' and then lie on you bed without putting your feet on the floor!" There was nothing wrong with the prayer I prayed, but I needed to put my own feet on the floor in faith that Christ would give me the victory over my selfish desires.

"You cannot change your heart, you cannot of yourself give to God its affections; but you can choose to serve Him. You can give Him your will; He will then work in you to will and to do according to His good pleasure. Thus your whole nature will be brought under the control of the Spirit of Christ; your affections will be centered upon Him, your thoughts will be in harmony with Him." (Steps to Christ, p. 47)

"I can of mine own self do nothing." (John 5:30) We cannot make our heart pure, we cannot keep the commandments of God, we cannot even be a Christian in our own strength; but we can surrender. Through the right exercise of the will, we may choose to serve Christ. This is the human effort that we must put forth in order to gain supremacy over the giants in our lives.

When we surrender to Christ, when we put in the effort required of us, Jesus will change our heart. "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them." (Ezekiel 36:26-27)

Young people, unless we surrender our ALL our EVERYTHING to our Savior, those giants will continue to rule over us. But if we, like David, combine our efforts with the power of Christ, we can come forth from the battle victorious! Do YOU want to be a conqueror? I do!

--Stephanie Fox

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: All Bible verses are taken from the King James Version, unless stated otherwise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/lysa92

Issue #78 Mon, 3 Apr 2006
Page 1 of 1