Christian Pen Friends Connection

A place for the Christian Youth

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Issue #76 Tue, 14 Mar 2006

Go down 
AuthorMessage
seeker of truth
Admin

Female Number of posts : 2309
Registration date : 2006-12-17

PostSubject: Issue #76 Tue, 14 Mar 2006   March 11th 2007, 23:30

MY SON, GIVE ME THINE HEART

Dear Youth,

Do you remember a song you would have sung in Kindy Sabbath School all those years ago called “Into My Heart”? I wonder if you understood back then, and even now, just what the words mean. I have to confess that there are times when I sing a hymn or gospel song (for these are the only two types of song that we sing in our home) that I’m not really concentrating on the words. This is not good, as hymns have a very special purpose, and that is, to draw our thoughts heavenward, to sing praises acknowledging what the Lord has done for us, to sing our gratitude for His tender mercies and graciousness toward us, though we be so undeserving, and there are other reasons, too many to mention just now. I believe it is vitally important to sing with understanding, otherwise it can’t be true worship and praise. “For God is the King of all the earth: sing ye praises with understanding” (Psalm 47:7), and Paul says in 1 Corinthians 14:15, “I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.”

So, when you sang, and maybe still do sing, as we do sometimes, “Into My Heart”, do you mean it? Are you singing, with a true understanding of the words you are singing? Let’s take a quick look at the words of this very simple song:

Into my heart; into my heart;

Come into my heart, Lord Jesus.

Come in today; come in to stay;

Come into my heart, Lord Jesus.

What are we really asking Jesus to do when we ask Him to come into our hearts? Do we understand the full significance of these words? Before we answer these questions let us take a look at Proverbs 23:26. “My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways”. Our God is actually asking us to give our hearts to Him. We are asked, or maybe even “commanded”, to “Love the Lord thy God with all thine heart and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.” (Deuteronomy 6:5). Why does God want our hearts, even our whole heart it seems?

Without the surrender of our hearts, my friends, we will actually be lost, forever lost, for “the heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked”. (Jeremiah 17:9). “I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.” (Jeremiah 17:10). That’s not very good news, is it? It appears that there is no hope for us – if God is going to judge our ways, and our hearts are deceitful and desperately wicked, it doesn’t sound like we’re on the road to heaven to me!

God says He’s going to “search the heart”. David actually asks the Lord to search his heart. Let’s take a look at that in Psalm 139:23: “Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” David is asking the Lord here to let him know if there is anything wicked in his heart, and turn him around to follow the right way. In Psalm 51:10 David asks the Lord to “Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.” The good news is that God’s response to David is: “A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.” (Ezekiel 36:26-28 )

Now let’s go back to my two questions: What are we really asking Jesus to do when we ask Him to come into our hearts? We’re asking Him to change us, to take away all the “evil” thoughts, words and ways that are natural for us to think, say and do. We’re saying we are wanting to give up self and selfishness and trade it in for new and pure thoughts, new and pure words and ways. We’re asking Him to so change our ways, that the things we will now do will be His ways and not our own. Now that’s not such a bad thing, is it? Why would we want to hang on to a selfish heart anyway? It will never, ever bring us true happiness and freedom!

“Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? Saith the Lord God: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?. . .Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord God. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin. Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel? For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth saith the Lord God: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye”. (Ezekiel 18:23, 30-32)

Our Lord is not willing that we perish, and that my friends, is why He says “My son, give me thine heart.” When you sing “Into My Heart” henceforth, may you sing it with full understanding and may it be a heartfelt response to Him as He stands at the door of your heart, knocking. (See Revelation 3:20).

--Wendy Fox

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: All Bible verses are taken from the King James Version, unless stated otherwise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/lysa92

Issue #76 Tue, 14 Mar 2006
Page 1 of 1