Christian Pen Friends Connection

A place for the Christian Youth

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Issue #75 Wed, 8 Mar 2006

Go down 
AuthorMessage
seeker of truth
Admin

Female Number of posts : 2309
Registration date : 2006-12-17

PostSubject: Issue #75 Wed, 8 Mar 2006   March 11th 2007, 23:27

TRUST IN THE LORD

Dear Youth,

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths." (Proverbs 3:5-6) It seems to me that the majority of us have not yet learned the true meaning and blessing of those words. We often think that because we are Christians in name, we must have a lot of faith and trust in God, but the kind of trust this verse is speaking of goes deeper than a superficial knowledge that God exists.

The Bible says that we are to trust in Christ with our WHOLE heart. "We must learn to put our entire dependence upon God." (Testimonies to Ministers, p. 214) We are told that: "God will do great things for those who trust Him. The reason why His professed people have no greater strength is that they trust so much to their own wisdom, and do not give the Lord an opportunity to reveal His power in their behalf. He will help His believing children in every emergency if they will place their entire confidence in Him and faithfully obey Him." (Patriarchs and Prophets, p. 493)

If God will do such wonderful things for those who put their trust in Him, shouldn't we want to learn how we can place our uttermost dependence upon God? I think the most helpful way we learn this is to bring it down into practical terms. This is what I want to do with you today, so that we too, might claim this promise and be further established in the Word of God.

The first area we can learn to exercise faith and trust in God is when trials and tribulations come. Did you ever stop to realize that the trials and temptations we are faced with are actually for our own good? Sometimes it might not seem that way, but in the long run, it is all in God's perfect plan to make us as pure and refined gold. "But He knoweth the way that I take: when He hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold." (Job 23:10) Peter likens trials as being more precious than gold! "That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried in the fire, might be found unto praise and honor and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ." (1 Peter 1:7)

Sure, there may be times when it seems we cannot take any more. I know what that feeling is like, but it is at these times that Jesus wants to teach us dependence. It is in these situations that He is saying to us: "This is too big for you to handle alone, but if you will lean your whole weight upon Me, I will carry you through." I once received this line in an email and I found it very encouraging. It said: "If God brought you to it, He will bring you through it."

Friends, it takes faith to go through the Refiner's fire, but the blessing is there. And God is always there by our side, "For He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." (Hebrews 13:5)

I think young people, especially, need to learn to put their trust in God when they are surrounded by peer-pressure. As young people, we seem to think that we know best, and when we are faced with a difficult situation we often choose what seems to be the easy way out instead of trusting in God's guidance. I'll give you a little example of how this works.

Talisa and I had just started our new job at a local sheep cheesery. We had been working hard packing cheese one morning, and we asked if we could take lunch. Just as we were walking out of the factory, Diane, our boss, said to us: "Make sure you taste all our cheeses on your way back, so you know what you're working with etc." Now we had a real dilemma. Both Talisa and I have been raised on a vegan diet, and we uphold the principle that as Adventist's who believe in the health message, "Cheese should never be introduced into the stomach." (Testimonies for the Church, vol. 2, p. 68 ) We ate our lunch together discussing what we should do. Our human reasoning said, "Well, it's only a tiny little bit and such a small bit shouldn't hurt. Diane will probably think we're really weird. . . .fancy two vegans working at a CHEESERY! Maybe it would be better to just taste a little bit and save all that explaining, besides if we don't, we might even offend her."

Maybe such a small bit of cheese wouldn't really hurt, and it certainly would save a lot of explaining as far as we were concerned (we didn't want that kind of confrontation within our first week there!). But, that wasn't the point. God wanted us to see that principle was at stake. Thankfully, on that occasion, we both put our trust in God and listened to what He was trying to say to us. Tasting the cheese seemed like the easy way out at the time, but in the big picture, it had the potential to get us into harder and more difficult situations. What if they had later offered us more than just a tasting, what would we say then?

We both prayed together and stayed firm in our convictions. Later on, I was able to share with several of the workers, and Diane particularly all about clean and unclean meat, veganism, and vegetarianism from a Biblical and Christian perspective. Who knows, if we had tasted the cheese that one time, the other workers there may never have opened up and asked the questions they did.

Young people, if you are ever faced with a similar situation, don't trust yourself or your own reasoning, but let God bring you through. It may seem hard to stand up to your friends, your family, or your associates, but with God there is always a majority!

Can we trust Christ with our life, youth? This is the real test. Jesus says to us, "O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." (Psalm 34:8 ) "The government of God is not, as Satan would make it appear, founded upon blind submission, an unreasoning control. It appeals to the intellect and the conscience." (Steps to Christ, p. 43) "Come now, and let us REASON together, saith the Lord. (Isaiah 1:18 ) It is completely up to you to decide whether or not, the Lord is worthy of your trust. After all the Lord has done for me personally, I cannot do anything else but say that He is worthy is of my all.

Do you want your Savior to direct your pathways? The One who knows "my sitting down and my rising up." (Psalm 139:2 NKJV) The One who understands "my thoughts afar off." (Ibid.) The same One who has the "very hairs of your head numbered." (Matthew 10:30) Can you not trust your Father in heaven who sees even a sparrow fall?

I know, from my own experience that as soon as I take charge of my own life, I am already doomed to fail. I know that it is only as I put my faith and trust completely in God to get me through the tough and sticky situations in life, that I can gain the victory and find freedom and happiness.

My Savior has proved Himself to me, and when I am centered in His will, I know that I can rest assured that my life, my inward feelings and emotions are all completely safe in His hands. Jesus gave His LIFE for you, all He is asking for is your whole heart. After all He has done for you, can you not simply trust Him to direct your paths? Can you not trust Him to take care of your inward feelings, impulses and emotions?

May we all declare with the Psalmist: "The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust." (Psalm 18:2)

--Stephanie Fox

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: All Bible verses are taken from the King James Version, unless stated otherwise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/lysa92

Issue #75 Wed, 8 Mar 2006
Page 1 of 1