Christian Pen Friends Connection

A place for the Christian Youth

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Issue #68 Mon, 16 Jan 2006

Go down 
AuthorMessage
seeker of truth
Admin

Female Number of posts : 2309
Registration date : 2006-12-17

PostSubject: Issue #68 Mon, 16 Jan 2006   March 11th 2007, 23:00

MY NEED OF A SAVIOR
Dear Youth,

We need to learn COMPLETE dependence upon our Savior. It seems so simple, yet it's a lesson some people take a life-time to learn--some never learn it.

So many times we find ourselves falling and failing in our Christian walk. It happens so much that we think it's a problem that can't be overcome. Yet, the answer to this problem lies within the title of this week's devotional. "My Need of a Savior." We think that because we are strong, youthful Christian's, we can fight the devil alone. We seem to think that we are strong enough to resist temptation and that alone, we can make progress on the road to heaven. Is this right, young people? Is that how you've felt before.

Society today teaches us independence and self-sufficiency. Everything we are taught in society today is geared to crowd any thought of dependence on anyone or anything, totally out of our minds. Teenagers are left to their own resources and are encouraged to think that they are capable of anything. Dependence and obedience to either parents, God, or someone in authority is seen and made known as cowardice.

These are the concepts which are accepted and taught in our modern-day world, but the sad thing is that these concepts are also creeping into the way people think and relate to their Christian experiences also. It is because of this that we find ourselves being defeated in the Christian warfare. It is because we think that we are strong enough to fight the battles alone. Have you ever heard people talk about SELF-confidence before? Young people, our confidence, our trust and our dependence needs to be in CHRIST, not self!

Jesus said in John 15:5: "Without Me ye can do, nothing." How much, youth? Absolutely NOTHING! Every effort of our own will be useless. While the world teaches self-confidence, self-trust, and self-sufficiency, God turns all that around. "Put your trust in the LORD." David says. (Psalms 4:5) "Trust also in HIM; and HE shall bring it to pass." (Psalms 37:5)

You know, I think that as a people in general, we haven't yet learned the full meaning of the words, "Without Me ye can do nothing." (John 15:5) I'll give you an illustration from my own life that might help you to see the practical application of this verse.

Now this happened a few years ago now, but we were at our friend's house one Sabbath afternoon, and we'd just had this nice lunch, and were preparing to go for a walk. Well, everyone went off in their own directions, getting changed, finding hats or socks, getting a drink, or whatever they needed to do, and I was spending some time talking with my friend for a few moments. It was just then that my mother called to me and said: "Stephanie, would you please go out to the car and get my shoes for me." All I really had to do was slip my own shoes on, walk to the car, get my mother's shoes and come back again. It wasn't really any big deal and would only take me a couple of minutes, but at that time, it went against my own plans and desires, and instantly my will was crossed. Now, I don't know what happens to you when your will is crossed, but that day thoughts began to cross my mind. And these weren't nice, cheerful thoughts either! Things like: "Why don't you just get your own shoes? Can't you see I'm busy right now, and if you want to be so fussy as to want WALKING shoes, then just get them yourself, why do I always have to be your little slave!"

I was just about to blurt something out, when I had this call from God: "Why don't you just surrender?" I mean, it was such a small thing and I wanted to make a big fuss over it all, and besides that a lot of the thoughts that entered my head were not true and purely selfish. I began to walk over towards the door, still struggling with the temptation. Thankfully, on that occasion, I chose to surrender my selfish thoughts to the Lord and I was then able to WILLINGLY go out the car and get my mother's shoes for her.

The point I want to draw from this illustration is that I couldn't even go out to the car and do a simple task like getting my mother's shoes for her, without Christ. Yes, I could have done it physically, but I wouldn't have had that change of heart to make me willing to help my mother. God calls us to reach a higher standard, a standard where we are wholly surrendered to Christ, and where we can be willing to do our tasks and duties. This cannot be done without Jesus, and that is why He said: "Without Me ye can do NOTHING." (Ibid.)

Young people, we NEED a Savior! We are utterly hopeless and powerless without Jesus, the Savior of the world. We need to learn that we, in and of ourselves, can do nothing. Jesus said of Himself, while a man here on earth: "I can of Mine own self do nothing." (John 5:30) Jesus understood that He couldn't overcome temptation alone, He understood that He needed divine power from above to help Him through the trials of the day. The lesson that Jesus understood so well is the lesson that we, as young Christian's, need to learn also. Total dependence on Christ, who is the source of all strength.

Don't trust self any longer, recognize YOUR need of a Savior and surrender your life to Him. You will find that the "impossible" will then become "possible", for "With God all things are possible." (Matthew 19:26)

--Stephanie Fox
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/lysa92

Issue #68 Mon, 16 Jan 2006
Page 1 of 1