Christian Pen Friends Connection

A place for the Christian Youth

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Issue #61 Mon, 28 Nov 2005

Go down 
AuthorMessage
seeker of truth
Admin

Female Number of posts : 2309
Registration date : 2006-12-17

PostSubject: Issue #61 Mon, 28 Nov 2005   March 11th 2007, 21:47

"Ask, And It Shall Be Given You"

The Power of Prayer

part 1

Dear Youth,

Today I would like to share with you some thoughts on the power of prayer. The power of prayer is something that we often underestimate. But it is there. Too often we don't have the faith to believe that our prayers will be answered. But the promises are there. God does answer the prayers of His people

"Ask, and it shall be given you" (Matthew 7:7). I think that one of the reasons why we don't receive is because we don't ask. James 4:2 says: "Ye have not, because ye ask not". The reason Satan is gaining the victory over so many of us, is because we don't ask for the power to overcome temptation. We are told in Matthew 7:11: "If ye then being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?" We are all sinful human beings yet we do know how to give good gifts to each other. So how much more should God know how to give good gifts to us because He is perfect.

We should be asking for things, we should be asking for the Holy Spirit to illuminate our lives. We should be asking for opportunities to share our faith, we should be pleading for the souls of those who have not yet accepted Jesus as their personal savior. We should also be asking for strength to overcome temptation. "For every one that asketh receiveth" (Luke 11:10).

Another essential part of prayer is believing, we will not receive if we do not believe. We must have the faith to believe that He will give us the good things we pray for. Our prayers cannot be answered if we don't believe that they will be answered. The promises are there. We simply have to believe them, have faith in them. We should ask for the faith that we do not have. "Therefore I say unto you what things soever ye desire, when ye pray believe that ye receive them and ye shall have them" (Mark 11:24).

Sometimes God has to say "no" to our requests. This may be because our lives are inconsistent. For example, if we were to pray for God to forgive us our sins, but still hold resentment and hatred towards someone else, we would be showing inconsistency in our lives. Mark 11:25,26 has something to say about forgiveness, it says: "And when ye stand praying forgive if ye have aught against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses. But if ye do not forgive neither will you Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses". Here it is saying that God cannot forgive our sins unless we too show forgiveness to those around us. We pray for forgiveness for our sins, but we don't want to forgive those who hurt us. So this verse is saying that if you have something against anyone because of what they have done to you. Go and forgive them now, then Jesus can forgive your sins.

"The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much" (James 5:16). The prayers of a righteous man avails much. God hears the prayers of many people, but especially the prayers of the righteous man. The prayers of a righteous person bring about great changes. For Psalm 34:15,17 says: "The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry. The righteous cry, and the Lord heareth".

Another reason that God might not give us the things we ask for is because something might be separating us from Him. Something might be coming between us and the Lord; it could be some cherished sin that has not been surrendered to Jesus. Or it could be something that we don't even realize. That is why we must pray this prayer: "Search me, O God and know my heart: try me and know my thoughts: and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting" (Psalm 139:23,24). We must really ask God to search us, try us, and bring to remembrance any sin that has not been forgiven, any sin that we might be cherishing. And He will, these are the kinds of prayers that He loves to answer.

Sometimes the things we ask for are not given to us because they are not in accordance with His will. It is like a young boy asking his parents if he can have a gun to play with. Do you think that just because he asked, that his parents would give it to him? Of course not, they know best, they know that he could hurt himself with a gun. The boy might not understand though, the child sees it as a harmless toy. It is the same way with our heavenly father. We might think that something we are asking for would be good for us, and because we don't receive it, we see it as God not answering our prayers. But that's not the way it is, God might have to say "no". That is why we should always say, "if it is your will" because sometimes it isn't His will, because God knows best.

"Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your own lusts". When we ask for something that is not according to God's will for us we do not receive it, but on the contrary when we ask and it is according to God's will He is more than happy to give to us. "And this is the confidence that we have in him that, if we ask any things according to his will he heareth us" (1 John 5:14).

---Talisa Jackson
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/lysa92

Issue #61 Mon, 28 Nov 2005
Page 1 of 1